|Early Morning Fire in First Due Residence|
|By CFD News Team|
|June 30, 2023|
Shortly before 7AM on a muggy Friday morning, the Croton-on-Hudson Fire Department, along with a FASTeam from the Yorktown Heights FD, was dispatched to a home in the village's Mount Airy section for the report of smoke in the residence.
Car 2081 (Chief Munson) was first arriving minutes later, met by the homeowners outside of the residence reporting smoke in the house and a possibly extinguished fire in their attached garage. Noticing scorching above a window and heat damage throughout the two-car garage, the alarm was resounded for the confirmed fire in the residence.
The alert homeowners were able to safely evacuate the home and keep the fire - involving a battery-powered children's vehicle - in check prior to our arrival. CFD and YHFD members removed smoldering items from the garage, checked for fire extension in the walls and ceiling and soaked down the burnt and affected items with a hose line from Engine 119.
As a precaution, the county's Haz-Mat Chief was requested to come and assist us with evaluating the battery of the involved vehicle - which turned out to be a more traditional lead acid type, not the much-hyped lithium ion type responsible for numerous fires in our region recently.
Units operated on scene for 2 1/2 hours. No injuries occurred to civilians or First Responders.
|Units:||2081, E118, E119, T10|
|Mutual Aid:||YHFD: 2534, R16 / WCDES: BAT10, 2001, C32, C&O Zone 4|