|Keeping Safe During Sub-Zero Weather|
|By CFD Public Safety Team|
|January 6, 2018|
Beginning Friday and through the weekend, potentially record-breaking low temperatures will hit our area. Please read the attached information from the Village of Croton-on-Hudson regarding how to stay safe during these historically cold days and nights.
We are expecting a continuation of extremely cold temperatures over the next few days. See below for tips on protecting your home during the frigid temperatures.
In addition the Village of Croton will open the Community Center in the Municipal Building at 1 Van Wyck Street on a 24/7 basis for the next few days to give residents access to a warm space, if needed.
As a reminder, the Croton Free Library is also available to be used as a warming center during its open hours.
The library's hours are as follows:
MONDAY 1:00 pm-9:00 pm
* Insulate water supply lines that run through unheated areas.
* Cracks and holes in outside walls and foundations near water
* Reduce wind drafts that transport cold air from outside to
* Open kitchen and bathroom sink cabinets to allow warmer air to
* Allow faucets to drip slowly to keep unheated pipes from
* Don`t turn the heat down too much if you are going away. Leave
* Also, know where and how to shut off the main water supply in
Keeping your home warm can also be difficult in this weather.
* Make sure you have sufficient heating fuel.
* Never use a stove, oven, grill, etc. to heat your home.
* Place space heaters on level hard surfaces at least three feet from
* Install carbon monoxide detectors in you home and quickly move
Finally, check that seniors, infants, those with chronic health