FASTeam Responds to Fatal Ossining Fire
 
By Steve Lieberman and Matt Spillane, LoHud.com
October 13, 2017
 

OSSINING - A 58-year-old woman died during an early morning fire inside her apartment on Friday, police said.

Ann Marie Carroll-McElligott likely died from smoke inhalation after a lit cigarette set off the blaze inside her home at the Waterview on the Hudson apartment complex, Police Chief Kevin Sylvester said.

Police investigators suspect Carroll-McElligott may have been unconscious from a medical condition or fell asleep smoking, Sylvester said.

"It's a tragedy," Sylvester said. "She had some medical issues and that may have precipitated the situation. It looks like she wasn't conscious. There's nothing suspicious."

Police notified her son of her death before releasing her name. Sylvester said he didn't know if she worked or any of her family background.

An autopsy by the Westchester County Medical Examiner will determine a cause of death.

The fire was reported at 5:15 a.m. at the Cedar Lane complex. Firefighters extinguished the blaze quickly, containing the flames to the apartment.

Firefighters had left but police remained on the scene at 8:45 a.m.

Twitter: @lohudlegal

 
Units: 2088, E119 w/ FASTeam
 
Mutual Aid: Ossining FD
 
Photo from Lohud.com
Photo from Lohud.com