Carbon Monoxide Leak at Ridge Road Home
 
By CFD Staff
February 15, 2017
 

At 12:07 AM, Croton Fire (E120 & U14) was dispatched to a Ridge Road home for an activated Carbon Monoxide (CO) alarm. Upon the arrival of CFD units, elevated levels of CO were found on all levels of the 2 1/2 story home. At this point, the residents were evacuated and E119 (Washington Engine Company No. 2) was special-called for ventilation. Personnel determined an issue with the gas burner, shut it down and vented the poisonous CO from the structure. Car 2089 (D/C John Munson) had Command with Car 2088 (D/C Phil Dinkler) as Operations.

Now that winter is in full swing, and just about everyone is using their heating appliances, please make sure you have properly installed and working Carbon Monoxide detectors in your home. Without them, the odorless, colorless and potentially deadly gas cannot be detected.

Please visit our website (http://www.crotonfd.org/content/co/) for more information about Carbon Monoxide and CO Detectors.
And remember - if a CO Alarm is sounding in your home - call 911. Your local Fire Department will come and help you within minutes.

The following was a story shared on the Eyewitness News 7 website and Evening News.

By Marcus Solis
Wednesday, February 15, 2017 05:19PM
CROTON-ON-HUDSON, New York (WABC) -- Firefighters evacuated a home in Croton-on-Hudson overnight Wednesday after a carbon monoxide leak.

Firefighters responded to a home on Ridge Road just after midnight and found elevated CO levels throughout the two-and-a-half-story home.

The residents, who were in bed at the time, were evacuated.

Kevin Kidder's house has four high-tech alarms that detect for both smoke and carbon monoxide, even providing the level of parts per million.

"Honestly, I think it saved our lives," he said. "I see the nest smoke alarm go off, and it says carbon monoxide detected in the entryway, which is down here in the hallway.

He quickly realized it was time to get his wife and daughter out.

"After about 10 minutes, it said carbon monoxide detected upstairs," he said. "So then I woke everybody up, and I called the police, and I got us out of the house."

The leak was reportedly caused by faulty valve in the gas furnace, which firefighters shut down. The house was aired out, and the family was allowed to return home.

"Scary, I thought we were going to be one of those people on the news," wife Gina Kidder said. "You know, where a story happens and you say, 'How could that happen?' And then wow, it's you."

Officials urged the public to properly install working carbon monoxide detectors. Without them, the odorless, colorless deadly gas cannot be detected.

 
Units: 2089 (IC), 2088 (Ops), E120, E119, U14
 
Hyperlinks: ABC 7 Story
 
No Caption
No Caption
 
No Caption