Croton-on-Hudson Fire Department
Croton-on-Hudson Fire Department
Croton-on-Hudson Fire Department
Croton Fire Department

Web Counters
Website Visitors
Since
December 14, 2012
571,201
Visitors Today
Aug 20, 2017
431

We thank you all for visiting us here on the internet, and encourage you to follow us at Twitter and Facebook (CrotonFire) for the most up-to-date Croton FD happenings! Please respect the content we so proudly share with you. The duplication of text, photos, video or any other content is prohibited without the written consent of the Croton-on-Hudson Fire Department. If you have any questions or would like to use any content from our website, please contact our webmaster by clicking here. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding, and we appreciate your support.
Carbon Monoxide Leak at Ridge Road Home
Email Print PDF RSS Facebook Google+ Twitter

By CFD Staff
February 15, 2017

At 12:07 AM, Croton Fire (E120 & U14) was dispatched to a Ridge Road home for an activated Carbon Monoxide (CO) alarm. Upon the arrival of CFD units, elevated levels of CO were found on all levels of the 2 1/2 story home. At this point, the residents were evacuated and E119 (Washington Engine Company No. 2) was special-called for ventilation. Personnel determined an issue with the gas burner, shut it down and vented the poisonous CO from the structure. Car 2089 (D/C John Munson) had Command with Car 2088 (D/C Phil Dinkler) as Operations.

Now that winter is in full swing, and just about everyone is using their heating appliances, please make sure you have properly installed and working Carbon Monoxide detectors in your home. Without them, the odorless, colorless and potentially deadly gas cannot be detected.

Please visit our website (http://www.crotonfd.org/content/co/) for more information about Carbon Monoxide and CO Detectors.
And remember - if a CO Alarm is sounding in your home - call 911. Your local Fire Department will come and help you within minutes.

The following was a story shared on the Eyewitness News 7 website and Evening News.

By Marcus Solis
Wednesday, February 15, 2017 05:19PM
CROTON-ON-HUDSON, New York (WABC) -- Firefighters evacuated a home in Croton-on-Hudson overnight Wednesday after a carbon monoxide leak.

Firefighters responded to a home on Ridge Road just after midnight and found elevated CO levels throughout the two-and-a-half-story home.

The residents, who were in bed at the time, were evacuated.

Kevin Kidder's house has four high-tech alarms that detect for both smoke and carbon monoxide, even providing the level of parts per million.

"Honestly, I think it saved our lives," he said. "I see the nest smoke alarm go off, and it says carbon monoxide detected in the entryway, which is down here in the hallway.

He quickly realized it was time to get his wife and daughter out.

"After about 10 minutes, it said carbon monoxide detected upstairs," he said. "So then I woke everybody up, and I called the police, and I got us out of the house."

The leak was reportedly caused by faulty valve in the gas furnace, which firefighters shut down. The house was aired out, and the family was allowed to return home.

"Scary, I thought we were going to be one of those people on the news," wife Gina Kidder said. "You know, where a story happens and you say, 'How could that happen?' And then wow, it's you."

Officials urged the public to properly install working carbon monoxide detectors. Without them, the odorless, colorless deadly gas cannot be detected.

Units: 2089 (IC), 2088 (Ops), E120, E119, U14
 
Hyperlinks: ABC 7 Story
 
 
 
 

Comment Comment 0 Comment(s)


2017 Incidents
Jan 28
Feb 23
Mar 24
Apr 28
May 27
Jun 24
Jul 42
Aug 23
Sep
Oct
Nov
Dec
Total 219

Past Incidents
2016 437
2015 443
2014 369
2013 373
2012 437
2011 445
2010 469
2009 329

Website Designed and Hosted By: Content Proudly Maintained By: Contact Info:
Firehouse Solutions
www.FirehouseSolutions.com
Croton-on-Hudson Fire Department
P.O. Box 365
Croton-on-Hudson, NY 10520

Emergency Dial 911
Non-Emergency: 914-271-2693
E-mail: info@crotonfd.org
Copyright © 2017 Firehouse Solutions (A Service of Technology Reflections, Inc.)